Object Record
Images
Additional Images [1]
Metadata
Accession number |
1990.060 |
Object Identification Number |
1990.060.026 |
Object Name |
Stereoscope |
Donor |
Bedstemors, Inc. |
Description |
The viewfinder of the stereoscope is made of silver-colored metal and both the left and right sides curve outward. The top is etched with two mirror images of the same design - filigree that extends from a curved zigzag line that curls inward on both ends. Between those two designs is a maker's mark that reads "SUN SCULPTURE / TRADEMARK" below a raised semicircle of sunrays. The interior of the viewfinder is painted black and curves upward between the lenses to accommodate a viewer's nose. Two square glass lenses are fitted within two protruding metal elements. Both lenses are slanted slightly inward. A thin strip of metal extends backward from the bottom of the base of the viewfinder and is clamped around a horizontal piece of wood covered with brown varnish. Two T-shaped pieces of metal extend from the bottom of the viewfinder clamp. Stamped into the proper right T-shaped piece is "PAT'D / JUNE 14TH / 1881". A piece of wood in the shape of a thin triangle extends vertically from the horizontal piece of wood and is located between the lenses at the front of the viewfinder. A light brown piece of wood is attached perpendicularly to the horizontal piece of wood using a thin piece of metal that allows the shorter piece of wood to slide along the length of the longer piece of wood. Two thin metal loops that curve outward at the top extend from the top of the smaller piece of wood to hold a stereograph. A maker's mark is stamped into the underside of the larger piece of wood that reads "WARRENTED / UNDERWOOD & UNDERWOOD / MANUFACTURER / NEW YORK / PATENT APPLIED FOR". |
Dimensions |
H-4 W-6.875 L-12.5 inches |
Owned By |
Ortgies, Duane/Ortgies, Karolyn |
Material |
metal/wood/glass |
Associated People |
Ortgies, Duane Ortgies, Karolyn |
Search Terms |
stereoscope stereograph Underwood & Underwood Sun Sculpture New York Ortgies, Duane Ortgies, Karolyn |
Provenance |
This item was one of the furnishings provided to Bedstemors House during its restoration in the 1980s. HOUSE HISTORY Bedstemors Hus, or Grandmother's House, was built in 1908 by Jens Otto Christiansen, a Danish immigrant and Elk Horn businessman. He was often referred to as "Prince Otto" because he wore a coat with tails and a tall hat when going to church, and he walked very straight. According to local stories, he built the house as an engagement gift for a young woman who sadly turned down his marriage proposal. It is unknown if Christiansen ever lived in the home himself, but he rented the home to several families until he sold it to the Salem Old People’s Home in 1933 for "one dollar and other valuable contributions." In 1946, the house was sold to Meta Mortensen, also of Danish descent. She lived in the home for 36 years, making only a few notable changes. The roses that she planted along all four sides of the house still bloom. In 1982, Meta sold the house to the Elk Horn-Kimballton Arts and Recreation Council for $8800. The Council and many area volunteers spent a year restoring the home to reflect the turn of the century. They named it "Bedstemor's House", using the Danish word for "Grandmother", in honor of Meta Mortensen who was herself a Danish-American grandmother. The House opened to the public in July of 1983, and a formal dedication was held October 1. Meta Mortensen was the guest of honor. It was after 1983 that the front porch was reconstructed and the exterior of the home was repainted from the white that Meta had had to the original two-tone green. The only modern room was just off the kitchen. Formerly Meta's bedroom, the room became the office for staff and has remained as such. The Council operated the house for seven years until it was donated to the Museum in 1990. Minutes from the Board of Directors meeting in February that year show that the donation was accepted for the Museum. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 16, 1997. The Museum continues to operate Bedstemor’s House as an historic house museum, interpreting the home in its first decade. The home is located at 2105 College Street in Elk Horn on its original foundation. On June 25, 2008, the Museum held a dedication for the new tombstone for Jens Otto Christiansen who had not had a formal stone until then. It marked the centennial of the house. The ceremony was held at the Elk Horn Cemetery and a reception at Bedstemors House followed. |
Images |
157\1990060026.JPG |
Date Received by Museum |
1990 |
